The Signs in children:
- Delayed in development, particularly in the milestones of social behaviour (eg. smiling and talking).
- Solitary play and withdrawal from the rest of the family and other people.
- Apathy (indifference) toward other peoples attempts at communication.
- Dislike for cuddling.
- The lack or absence of eye contact.
- Rote (fixed routine) and compulsive behaviour which, if interrupted, may provoke temper tantrums.
- Mental retardation, in most.
- In some, extraordinary talent or brilliance in a specific field (eg drawing, mathematics, music, painting)
|Repetitively stacking or lining up objects is a behavior|
occasionally associated with individuals with autism.
Injury due to self-mutilation, or to the lack or absence of response to painful stimuli.
The exact cause has not yet been pinpointed, but the disorder is attributed to:
- Genetic predisposition (hereditary).
- Failure of the section of the brain that processes stimuli.
- Consult a doctor if you think your child is autistic.
- Stay positive and be supportive towards your child with autism.