Search This Blog

Sunday, September 5, 2010

Parents Needs

Love and Logic Magic for Early Childhood: Practical Parenting from Birth to Six YearsIt is important to realise that no one is a perfect parent, sometimes no matter how hard you try you just can't get it right. Don't place impractical expectations on yourself and your partner. Give yourselves some time and space.

You need to be happy and care for your own well being in order to care for your children. Try to be aware of those areas you find hard to manage and find a solution. Recognise your strengths and those of your family. Share tasks with your partner and other family members. It is unrealistic to expect to do everything yourself.

Keep in touch with family and friends. Friends provide emotional support, which can be invaluable, particularly at trying moments. Discussing and swapping troubles with friends can be a release. Those hard times may turn into shared laughter.

STOP hovering over your children, trying to anticipate and fulfill their every need. Do them a favor and learn how to ground yourself. Check out the following How To Stop Being a Helicopter Parent video.


Related Tools / Resources:
The Perfect Parents Handbook
Parenting Early Years
Parenting With Love And Logic
Setting Limits with Your Strong-Willed Child
The Big Book of Parenting Solutions: 101 Answers to Your Everyday Challenges and Wildest Worries (Child Development)

5 comments:

Emy said...

I agree with your post. I'm a mom to a 17 month old and I have had moments where I've tried to take on too much and just ended up with extra worries on top.

Now that I'm a SAHM I feel like I have time for my real priorities (family and son) because I took the time to take care of myself.

P.S..
I'm a new follower! I found you through Living Out Loud's blog hop.

Have a great week!

Karen said...

Excellent parenting video! Also in Stress Busters, seeing a counselor and reaching out to friends have really helped me. Found you on Living Out Loud's blog hop. Will be following you, too.

Unknown said...

@Emy, that is so wonderful. I guess, every parent have to go through the same process that make us not a great parent but a GOOD parent.

Children will not remember you for the material things you provided but for the feeling that you cherished them.
- Richard L. Evans

Unknown said...

@Karen, aka "Kitten" , gee thanks for the inspriring words. Sometimes, we need to remember that we are not alone.

waliz said...

thanks for sharing the video..it will be a great help for moms as how to handle their kids.hope all of us will be a good mom :)

Post a Comment

Share The LOVE.