3/4 cup cocoa powder
1 1/2 tsp baking powder
1 1/2 tsp baking soda
1 tsp salt
2 large eggs
1 cup reduced-fat milk
1/2 cup vegetable oil
2 tsp vanilla extract
1 cup hot water or hot coffee
- Heat the oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit. Grease two 9 inch baking pans with butter, and lightly dust the pans with flour. Set aside.
- In the mixing bowl, stir together the sugar, flour, cocoa, baking powder, baking soda, and salt with the wooden spoon until they’re well combined.
- Crack the eggs into the mixture and add the milk and oil. Beat on medium speed for one to two minutes until smooth.
- Add the vanilla to the chocolate batter and beat on slow speed for one minute.
- Pour the hot water into the mixture and mix thoroughly with a wooden spoon.
- Pour the batter evenly into the prepared pans for 30 to 35 minutes until the center is slightly firm.
- Because baking times vary slightly depending on ovens and elevations, do the toothpick test: Insert a toothpick into the center of the cake; when it comes up clean, without any batter or crumbs sticking to it, the cake is done. If you don’t have a toothpick, use a fork or knife instead.
- Place the cake pans on a cooling rack and let them cool for 15 to 20 minutes.
- Invert the pans onto the rack and let the cake cool completely, about two hours.
- Put the layers on a cake stand or plate before frosting or serving. Enjoy!
Check out this great recipe for Homemade Chocolate Frosting.