Regular exercise can do wonders to your body, mind and overall well being. The right exercise will add great fun and enjoyment to your life and provide the foundation for a lifetime of fitness and good health. The benefits of exercise are well known.
Benefits of Exercise:
- Strengthens your heart and lungs.
- Lowers the risk of heart disease, high blood pressure and diabetes.
- Increases the good cholesterol in your blood.
- Burns fat and helps you maintain a healthy weight.
- Strengthens bones, reducing osteoporosis.
- Increases strength and flexibility.
- Boosts your vitality, making you more alert with better concentration.
- Helps you relax and sleep better.
- Is a great way to deal with stress.
- Improves resistance to colds and flu.
- Contributes to a more positive self-image and greater self-confidence.
When exercising, follow the FITT formula and you won't go wrong.
- 3-5 times per week (evenly spaced out)
- Exercise until you perspire and breathe deeply. You should not feel any discomfort and should reach 60-90% of your maximum heart rate (MHR). This is your "target heart rate".
- A combination of aerobic and calisthenic exercises.
- Each exercise session has 3 parts:
- Warm up for 5 - 10 minutes
- Aerobic exercise for 20 - 60 minutes
- Cool down for 5 - 10 minutes
For a great workout check out this video, New Millennium Health Workout.